Friday, January 11, 2008

Uganda

I kept wanting to post this but always ended up forgetting, only to remember whenever I was far from internet connection like crossing a road, bathing, buying stuff from Watsons, etc.

An article I read in a magazine has been imprinted in my mind since I read it last year.

Girls from very poor families in Uganda were constantly sucked in a vicious cycle of not being able to fulfil their educational pursuit. How so? Sanitary pads from international export became too costly for them so during their menstrual cycle, they couldn't go to school for about 10 days. But thankfully, now with cheaper alternatives from domestic production, they can afford the pads and are able to go to school to complete a level seamlessly.

There are so many issues in the world that we can never imagine because we take so many things for granted. We truly forget how lucky we are.

No comments: