Friday, April 24, 2009

Ancient

Is it appropriate to say I saw one yesterday?

I was at the library collecting my book and I couldn't help but notice his voice and tone - the articulation and confidence. I heard him before I saw him. According to his claims to the guy in front of me (queuing), he is the "4th oldest man in Singapore", having born in the early 1900s. And mind you, he did look the part. So did his trousers.

While I was whipping out my library card, he caught a glimpse of my credit cards inside my wallet (I wasn't surprised by his astuteness!) and commented how it was easier to use quarters in the past. I told him credit cards have become a necessary evil and longevity is not something most people would yearn for unless we hold the secret to effective retirement planning.

If only I had more time to chat with him.... (I meet Travis every evening to pick up Becks from school). He said at his age, there is no rush for anything anymore. It would have been such a blast to compare the yesteryears and today!

No comments: