Thursday, January 18, 2007

Grandma's passing...

I was never close to her but when I was younger, I loved staying over because the flat bore a complicating structure which made hide-n-seek very thrilling to play. I also remembered being given a red jade bangle which my mom made me wear, only to smash it to pieces a few weeks later.

And the last I saw her was in May when twins Aidan and Ian celebrated their one-month. She was always reserved, seemingly stoic, only choosing to be close to her favourite grandchildren.

She slipped on a puddle of water in the kitchen last month which had her hospitalized for days. As part of protocol perhaps, she was given a thorough check-up and doctors found her lungs infected beyond recognition. During her hospitalization, many people went to visit her and she was given an operation. After getting the all-clear, she stayed at my dai kaofu's (Big Uncle) place and all seemed well until 3am this morning. She stopped breathing.

Sis told me Grandma knew...that the fall was meant to be, for people to see her awake the last time and vice versa. I am very saddened by this relevation. I wonder when people don't show/feel any exterior physical signs of dying, do they already know their time is near?

Michelin just lent me The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. I haven't started reading it yet but I flipped the 1st page, just yesterday, and found Albom started the beginning with an ending. He said that endings are also beginnings. We just didn't know it at that time. And so "goodbye" may not be the correct word and death shouldn't be so negative (and frightening) afterall......

No comments: