Tuesday, June 05, 2007

2 Selfless Friends

I wanna blog about 2 selfless friends - Wai Lin & Say Kheng. No abbreviations, no nicknames.

They dun fuss about a lousy haircut, they dun lament about the zits that develop nearing the end of a 28-day cycle. Facing more people who are self-indulgent lately, I must admit I find them a breath of fresh air.

Wai Lin, like any other times, had been planning to go somewhere, no frills preferably, to spend time after her temporary stint with a company finally ended. She decided on Khao Lak, one of the badly tsunami-hit places 2.5 years ago. She had the chance to know a Thai doctor who migrated to USA at the age of 4 but returned to his home country when the disaster struck. The doctor not only provided medical services but set up an orphanage and a foundation for donations. She came back a different person and started a 'mini project' in which she penned an article and posted photographs to increase awareness of the plight of the community and provided means as to how we can help in terms of monetary donation.

Say Kheng, with all her accumulated leave has chosen to go to East Timor for volunteer work. I don't have details of her expedition but we will arrange to meet upon her return, for updates.

I'm glad I have them in my midst. :)

No comments: