Friday, February 09, 2007

Media Influence

I'm not going into a General Paper essay-like blog regarding the above. My stomach is too full (and satisfied) from Maxwell Market's chicken biryani and tapioca cake to handle that.

Just remembered what J and I spoke about yesterday, among the many topics. That people in NZ were not being able to identify his nationality based on his 'accent', that his 'accent' is somewhat Americanized. He comes from a simple family where English is not the dominating language spoken at home but his vocabularly range and grasp of the language are admirable. "American TV" was what he gave credit to.

And so I remembered what I grew up with too. "Felicity", "Beverly Hills 90210", "Melrose Place", etc. AND ARCHIE COMICS. Hands up to those who remember them oh so fondly! Archie, Betty & Veronica, Reggie, Big Ethel, Jughead Jones...

No comments: