Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Number

I heard on the radio today that to date, there are "over 1 billion" Elvis Presley's albums sold.

It hit me - do I know what 1 billion is? 1000,000000. 1 thousand million. I got it correct, as verified by good ole Wikipedia. And because there are so many hyperlinks found in one search, my search got me deeper and deeper. It was interesting....

In mathematics, a natural number is either a positive integer (1, 2, 3, 4, ...) or a non-negative integer (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, ...). The former definition is generally used in number theory, while the latter is preferred in set theory and computer science.

Natural numbers have two main purposes: they can be used for counting ("there are 3 apples on the table"), and they can be used for ordering ("this is the 3rd largest city in the country").
Properties of the natural numbers related to divisibility, such as the distribution of prime numbers, are studied in number theory. Problems concerning counting, such as Ramsey theory, are studied in combinatorics.


History of natural numbers and the status of zero-The natural numbers presumably had their origins in the words used to count things, beginning with the number one.

Blah blah blah...........

Then it got boring.

Can you imagine people actually studied and wrote all this?????????? I mean if I had connections and I can start over again, I would like to be a food columnist. Get out there, taste food for free. I will definitely not be studying mathematics.

No comments: