Friday, July 07, 2006

Engrish

The 'fog' and giddiness have cleared somewhat. Just a 60c-remedy (TT). Thank you #01-67....you know I love you.

It was a nice simple lunch with an ole friend. WL, work around here longer lah. I think I have met up with you more often in the past year than I had in total in the last 5. :)

After lunch is my unofficial siesta. I was just surfing the net when I came across this article:

Push for Simpler Spelling Persists

WASHINGTON - When "say," "they" and "weigh" rhyme, but "bomb," "comb" and "tomb" don't, wuudn't it maek mor sens to spel wurdz the wae thae sound?

Those in favor of simplified spelling say children would learn faster and illiteracy rates would drop. Opponents say a new system would make spelling even more confusing.
Eether wae, the consept has yet to capcher th publix imajinaeshun.


I realised that most people speak better than they write.
You can have this top manager, decked in cufflinks, shirt and tie whom you are in awe of and when he sends an all-important email, the professional image can be gone forever as a result of lack of grasp for correct spelling, grammar and choice of words.

Common ones in speech or writing that I've encountered: Nowsaday (nowadays), delicate (dedicate), moral (morale), advice/advise (advise/advice), practice/practise (practise/practice),
I back (beg) your pardon.

Any more you know?

1 comment:

keathan said...

The perennial classic example would be 'tree' (three).