Friday, July 07, 2006

The Meaning of Life

You'd think it's TGIF today and I'll wrap up my last entry of the day with stories on booze, sex and drugs.

I hardly read...books/novels that is. The last one I managed to finish was more than 2 years ago. Then during one of the many trips to the library with my troops, I saw it lying on the main table, supposedly one of the 'books of the month'.

It was just the right size, just the right thickness, just the right font, just the right font size. :P
I decided I could use it for my train trips back home from work. Well, I got lucky. I judged a book by its cover (and many other things) and found that I got to read about the meaning of life - Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom.

An excerpt which I read yesterday:
"Yet when I looked at Morrie, I wondered if I were in his shoes, about to die, and I had no family, no children, would the emptiness be unbearable? He had raised two sons to be loving and caring, and like Morrie, they were not shy with their affection. Had he so desired, they would have stopped what they were doing to be with their father every minute of his final months. But that was not what he wanted.

"Do not stop your lives," he told them. "Otherwise this disease will have ruined three of us instead of one."

In this way, even as he was dying, he showed respect for his children's worlds. Little wonder that when they sat with him, there was a waterfall of affection, lots of kisses and jokes and crouching by the side of the bed, holding hands.

"Whenever people ask me about having children or not having children, I never tell them what to do," Morrie said now, looking at a photo of his oldest son. "I simply say, 'There is no experience like having children.' That's all. There is no substitute for it. You cannot do it with a friend. You cannot do it with a lover. If you want the experience of having complete responsibility for another human being, and to learn how to love and bond in the deepest way, then you should have children."

It's 5:30pm now. Time for me to end my work week and go back to my humble abode, into the arms of my family...............Till next week.

1 comment:

jeffreyc said...

We all ought to get some booze on Fridays. Its great to end the week on a HIGH.

Have a good weekend. =)